Courses Taught (Retired)
CIVE 440 - Traffic Engineering and simulation
This is an undergraduate, intermediary-level course designed to familiarize students with the state of the art of road design. The course should prepare students to solve typical problems encountered in traffic engineering projects including: data collection strategies; fixed, adaptive and coordinated traffic light design; and training using the VISSIM microsimulation software.
This course is taught in English at McGill University. Visit the official course listing. Please note that I am no longer teaching this course.
Download 2016 edition of course notes for CIVE 440. Note that reading these course notes alone is insufficient to fully comprehend the material, and should not be used as a substitute for the material it references:
- Course outline for CIVE 440
- Ch1 - Introduction
- Ch2 - Traffic Studies
- Ch3 - Traffic Studies pt2
- Ch4 - Traffic Signals
- Ch5 - Signal Delay and Design
- Ch6 - Actuated Traffic Signals
- Ch7 - Coordination pt1
- Ch8 - Coordination pt2
- Ch9 - Traffic Flow Theory
- Ch10 - Highways part 1
- Ch11 - Highways part 2
- A1 - Statistics Review
CIV6706A - Traffic control devices (Régulation de la circulation)
This is a graduate, advanced-level course covering advanced topics in road design, particularly with respect to traffic control devices. This course examines traffic light coordination particularly, and in depth. The course also covers usage of VISSIM microsimulation software for evaluation of different traffic control treatments.
This course is taught in French at Poytechnique Montréal. Visit the official listing. Please note that I am no longer teaching this course.
Download 2017 edition of course notes for CIV6706A (in French). Note that reading these course notes alone is insufficient to fully comprehend the material, and should not be used as a substitute for the material it references:
- Course outline for CIV6706A
- Ch1 - Introduction
- Ch2 - SIVR
- Ch3 - Feux de circulation - partie 1
- Ch4 - Feux de circulation - partie 2
- Ch5 - Feux de circulation - feux adaptatifs
- Ch6 - Coordination des feux - partie 1
- Ch7 - Coordination des feux - partie 2
- Ch8 - Coordination des feux - partie 3
- Ch9 - Autoroutes partie 1
- Ch10 - Autoroutes partie 2
- Ch11 - Sujets Divers
- A1 - Signalisation routiere
Below is a list of students that I have supervised in an official capacity.
Master of Engineering
- Stephen Woodall-Kalfaian (with Nicolas Saunier, Polytechnique Montréal, principal supervisor) 2016-2018Thesis: Safety Analysis Related to the Implementation of Roundabouts